Monday, September 2, 2013

Home


To The Reader
This “Blog” is to serve as a  journal for my obsession with learning new languages. I will record my process of language learning here for every language that I deconstruct. (click on the language tabs at the top!). 

I've filled this Blog with my “gems of wisdom” of how to acquire any language in the fastest time possible, and I will continue to post new methods and techniques that WORK (basically I'm my own human guinea pig). I am no hyper polyglot (crazy language genius), but I believe the human mind is capable of much more than we think. 

My greatest hope is that I can somehow learn all languages and cultures within this short lifetime. Secondly, I hope this Journal can give YOU inspirations and ideas to better master one of the most essential skills in creating real relationships among all people: Language Learning.

Let's get started :)

Kind Regards, 

Benjy Uyama
September 8, 2013 (Home, NC)

What Is GOAL?

“G.O.A.L” is an acronym that stands for Goal-Oriented Acquisition of Language. This concept is new in the linguistic field and one that I have coined and tested throughout my language-loving career. 


While studying abroad in Japan in 2012, I only had one GOAL in mind: to sound like a native Japanese speaker within 2 months. Sounds hard, but I did it, and I was proud of it. The process involved 2 simple steps: (1) meeting as many new people as possible using the target language, and (2) focusing on mastering key phrases commonly used in the target language (Japanese). If you want to know why these 2 practices are essential, read the "Japanese" section!

When we set clear goals and make a clear process, there is no room for disappointment and failure. Only a feeling of self-achievement remains.
People say learning a second language is too hard.
I'd like to remove that perception NOW. In the end, everything is easier than we think if we just know the quickest methods. It just takes a paradigm shift.
Learning a language doesn't have to be so darn hard!


Purpose


To share my love for language and culture with like-minded people.

You probably have always wanted to learn a favorite language, but never had the “time,” “money,” or “smarts” to get there. I created this Blog to tell the world (YOU) that it IS possible, and learning 3, 5, or 7 languages is easier and more fun than you think. It’s simple: set a clear goal, and execute a clear process. Just follow my lead!


About Me (so that you know I have a life)

My name is Benjy Uyama, and I love languages. I speak 7 total (all at different proficiency levels), and I’m looking forward to learning more (very exciting stuff).

I studied East Asian Studies, Linguistics, and Music at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Go Tar Heels). 

I’m currently the Pastor of the Unification Church of the Triangle, NC.
(don’t worry, I won’t mention religion here… EVER ;)

I’m a Musician, Inventor, App Developer, and Entrepreneur.

Nice to meet you.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Benjy, this is really an amazing journey and I am looking forward to enjoying it with you through your blog - thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for following~ I've been super excited about languages for a very long time, but I only recently faced my fears and decided to share that passion.

      Delete
  2. Hey! Such a great blog and GOAL! Wishing you the best of lucks to learn all languages of the world! Did you hear about the app duolingo? There's also a PC version, I think is a great tool to learn languages! Myself I speak native spanish, and english, french and catalan on different levels, and I'm planning to go to to korea next year to study the language! All the best on your journey!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you kindly, Miguel~
    I very much appreciate your readership.
    Best of luck with your Korea travels and studies!
    Korean is by far my favorite language because of it's depth of meaning.

    If you know anyone interested in languages, send them my way!
    Take care,
    Benjy

    ReplyDelete